Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Bets On MLS DP

Anyone want to place any bets that for 2007 the MLS doesn't land any big names for it's much vaunted designated player slot? And by "big player" I'm willing to allow for a lot. For example at this point in time I doubt that most fans in Spain would be excited if their club landed Martin Palermo. But for the MLS, he would qualify as a big, big player. Signing McBride is not a big player signing. He's about to retire (remember, at this level people don't make a like a bell curve at the end of their career and slowly trail off) and was a Yank that was willing to forgo being in Germany to come back and play for the the then new MLS. I'm not sure if I'd consider Claudio Reyna a bit signing or not. I would consider Beckham, Kikin Fonesca and others big signings. Any takers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People have been calling the DP ruling the Beckham Rule, and I think that will turn out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I bet you a Bulldog pint of your choice that Beckham will sign with L.A. Stranger things have happened, true!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Joe says it might happen...
http://www.lasoccernews.com/article.php?article_id=868