Saturday, April 12, 2008

Rapids Predictions & Saints Relegation Fight

I'm not sure why I should be happy with the Saints draw today. With only 3 games left after their trip to The Valley today, they don't have much time to left to secure a spot. A point is better than none. Nevertheless, this is a team that in 2008 has only won thrice in league play. Their inability to put a team away when they've got them on their heals is unnerving. With Burnley and Sheffield Wednesday at home sandwiching a road game to West Brom it won't be a walk in the park. WBA is looking to win it all. And at this point Sheffield United could be going all out on the last day of the season to squeak into the playoffs.

As for the Rapids, they'll be playing the New England Revolution in a few hours. I hope Bouna and the defense step up in this match. Some positives can be taken from the Rapids coming back from 2 goals down on the road to tie things up. But at the end of the day the Rapids let themselves down defensively. For a team that struggled so much to score goals the last couple of years, they can't afford to be sloppy at the back.

Like Nick over at We Want Rapidman, I'm going to refrain from making any predictions other than at least 3 times during the game I will have the urge to pop Paul Mariner in the nose. I don't know why I want to; I just do.

Predictions by others :
The Red Card
"Colorado Rapids @ New England Revolution Prediction: Revolution 2-0."

View From A Couch

Prediction: 2-1 win, New England is hurting, and played in KC in midweek. Short of going to San Jose, Toronto, or FSL, this may be the best chance the Rapids have this season to get 3 points on the road.

My Soapbox (Rogue Cavaliers; yes, yes, I know....)

Rapids at Revolution
Talk about an interesting match up, this one holds more promise for me that any other of the weekend (outside of the RSL vs. DC match). New England have looked very good in two of their 3 matches and horrible in the match against the Fire. The Rapids looked great against the Beckham boys, and played well in a loss at KC. I expect a 2-0 Revolution win, and a 3rd goal of the young season for Sainey Nyassi.

No comments: